NOTHING HERE IS IMPORTANT

There is nothing for you here. The only things that follow are contradictions and confusion.

Monday 8 February 2010

News just in: Shut the fuck up news.

Dear Haiti,
I recently discovered a new found hope for you. Not a hope that my well wishes will somehow cure you of your earthquake and that if I pray hard enough and change my little internet display pictures to a picture of a dying man crushed by the debris of a fallen building, trapped between rubble and a toppled Coca-Cola billboard with some little text in the corner that says "HOPE 4 HAITI" and then email all my friends to tell them that I found out the name of a new country I never even knew existed before, that they should now also all change their display pictures and then SOMEHOW the fact that you were just hit by an earthquake that killed thousands of people and destroyed all your homes will just... fix itself. No, of course not, I mean that's stupid right?

It is a different kind of hope that you have given me. The hope that one day people will cotton on to the fact that it probably makes very little difference. After they have finished paying Brad Pitt, George Clooney and that girl who was the daughter of the country and western singer who only had one song out before everyone forgot about him, to start the bandwagon rolling, the actual impact it makes must be minimal. I can't speak for anyone else out there but personally I am an indulgent slob who was quite happy to ignore the fact that you are the poorest country that I might be able to see with a telescope if it is a really fucking good telescope and maybe I had superpowers. Up until the stupid damn news started telling everyone that something bad happened, I was completely blissful about ignoring the fact you are a country overflowing with copious amounts of political violence and oppression. But now the news has reported on it, the celebrities crawl out of the woodwork to show that they are charitable and the facebook user groups begin and all of a sudden everyone gives a flying fuck.

Thanks a lot news.

Yours sincerely,

Jake